Sunday, January 22, 2012

So here is the latest update: I have decided to play all of the level 10 pieces from the RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music). There are about 30 pieces in all. I have been playing 1 per month so far. I ordered the book online back in October. While I was waiting for the book to arrive I played Chopin Nocturne in F# minor op. 15 no. 2 since I found it in a book we have here. In November I played Bach Fantasia in C minor, BWV 906, which was a fun piece to play. In December I played Franz Liszt's Liebestraume (super schmaltzy). This month I am working on a piece by Jeno Takacs: Toccata, op. 54. It is a curious exercise in bi-tonality. I find it fun to play. It is a rare thing that I can memorize something (and especially so easily). I have memorized the whole 8 pages without much effort. It is very patterned and dissonant. It also sounds very difficult but is actually surprisingly easy to play. It is the opposite of Bach which sounds easy but is difficult to play. I also have been intimidated by fast music but this is easy to play fast for some reason (some of it because of the patterns). I have been using a random number generator online to pick which piece to do next.

Before I started, I was doing a lot of ear training for about a month (using an app for my ipod). I trained on scales, intervals, chords, and perfect pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment